Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ain't It Great To Be Crazy?

As I was going about the business of getting ready for the day, I had this uncontrollable urge to do something silly. My next thought was of what Kaitlyn (my 12 year old daughter) would think "if she could see me now." The thought that immediately followed that one was that grown ups are just kids in bigger bodies. I like that thought. 


As "adults", we have jobs and more responsibilities, kids of our own, and so on. Underneath the big important things we have to think about and do every day, we're still the same kids inside that we were way back when. We still like to have fun, be silly, go a little (or a lot) crazy. I say we don't do it enough. I think kids get embarrassed by their parents acting foolish because they don't see it very often. That's not how they're used to us behaving and so it throws them off balance. Now of course, if you have teenagers, they're going to roll their eyes, and not want to hug you in public, or whatever, because it's expected of them to behave a certain way at that age. That's ok. 


I think that as adults, grown ups, parents, grandparents, we're entirely too serious and need to learn to loosen up a little, go a little wild and silly a bit more often. This is not only good for the heart and soul, but laughter is healthy. It HAS to be, after all Reader's Digest doesn't have a section titled, "Laugher, The Best Medicine", for no reason. And the Bible even says that a merry heart does good like a medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones. SO, laugh, be silly and feel better! It must be easier to handle the tough stuff in life if you have a merry heart, don't you think? 


Little by little, step by step, making my way every day.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I forgot to follow my own advice at lunch today. Josh was being silly at the table and Kaitlyn and I were embarrassed. I was even thinking about my blog and trying to convince myself it was ok he was mixing mustard and ketchup on a plate and smearing it around and topping it with ground pepper. Kaitlyn asked when she got a 5 year old brother to replace her Dad. LOL! Thanks Josh for the object lesson that I clearly needed. It's definitely a memory made not to soon be forgotten. Sometimes it's easier to take someone else's advice than your own I guess.

    ReplyDelete